The United States recorded 2,228 deaths related to the coronavirus pandemic over the past 24 hours, according to a tally by Johns Hopkins University as of 8:30 pm Tuesday (0030 GMT Wednesday).
The number of fatalities was a sharp increase after two days in decline, and beat the previous high of 2,108 on April 10. The outbreak has now claimed the lives of at least 25,757 people in the US, the most of any country.
But President Donald Trump announced Tuesday that swaths of the United States could lift coronavirus shutdowns “very soon” and said he could see “rays of light” on the horizon for the world’s largest economy.
Meanwhile Trump announced Tuesday a suspension of US funding to the World Health Organization because he said it had covered up the seriousness of the COVID-19 outbreak in China before it spread around the world.
Trump told a press conference he was instructing his administration to halt funding while “a review is conducted to assess the World Health Organization’s role in severely mismanaging and covering up the spread of the coronavirus.”
According to Trump, the WHO prevented transparency over the outbreak and the United States — the UN body’s biggest funder which provided $400 million last year — will now “discuss what we do with all that money that goes to the WHO.”
“With the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have deep concerns whether America’s generosity has been put to the best use possible.”
Trump’s attack on the WHO reflects his belief that the organization is biased toward China and colluded to prevent the United States’ main economic rival from having to be open about the unfolding health disaster.
He says this cost other countries crucial time to prepare and delayed decisions to stop international travel.
“The WHO’s attack on travel restrictions put political correctness above life-saving measures,” he said.
“Had the WHO done its job to get medical experts into China to objectively assess the situation on the ground and to call out China’s lack of transparency, the outbreak could have been contained at its source with very little death,” he said.
“This would have saved thousands of lives and avoided worldwide economic damage. Instead, the WHO willingly took China’s assurances to face value… and defended the actions of the Chinese government,” he said.
Critics have pointed out that for weeks after the coronavirus epidemic began unfolding, Trump frequently praised Beijing’s response and downplayed the danger it posed at home. (AFP)
The information contained in this post is for general information purposes only. Opinion articles, comments are solely the responsibility of the author and does not necessarily reflect the views of BlazeNewz while we endeavour to keep the information accurate with objectivity as we adhere to global practice of journalism. Read our full Disclaimer.
Politics1 year ago
Breaking: Appeal Court Sacks Ekiti APC Senator, Adeyeye Declares PDP, Olujimi Winner
News1 year ago
I’m Not Afraid Of Death– Obasanjo
Politics2 years ago
Rivers Guber ”In The End, It Will Be A Sweet Victory” Wike Tells Party Members
Foreign8 months ago
Breaking : Another Virus, Hantavirus Surfaces In China
Sponsored Posts2 years ago
Come And Learn Yoruba Traditional Druming and Dancing
Economy3 weeks ago
Cement Price Drops – Check Out The Current Price
Politics1 year ago
2023 Presidency : Northern Youths Drum Support For Tinubu, Lambast El-Rufai Over Zoning Comment
Entertainment2 years ago
FULL LIST: Beyonce, Jay Z, Ariana Grande, Others Win Big At 2019 Brit Awards